Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Schoolmarms with a Cause" Describes Gutsy Teachers of the Wild West


I found this little softcover book, Daughters of the West by Anne Seagraves, in a little touristy mercantile in Prescott, Arizona. I was immediately intrigued by the chapter titles: "Horse Trading Ladies & Cattle Queens," "Those Wells Fargo Women," "Petticoat Prisoners." But when I saw the chapter entitled "Schoolmarms with a Cause," I simply couldn't pass it up. I truly enjoyed reading the captivating stories about these turn-of-the-century school teachers conquering the Wild West in their own gutsy ways. Included are numerous historical black and white photos. This slender volume is well worth taking a look at. You can find Daughters of the West and other books by Anne Seagraves at amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment